Saturday, August 27, 2016

Aug. 27 - Prov. 27

As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man.
Prov. 27:19

As I read these words I'm reminded of the words of an old hymn that says;

Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me
All his wonderful passion and purity
May his Spirit divine, all my nature refine
Till the beauty of Jesus be seen in me.

What does it mean for us to reflect Christ? It surely involves a deep heart transformation and a regenerated spirit; a reflection of the indwelling Holy Spirit that causes people to see beyond us, and to see God at work in our lives.

In the New Testament Paul, while writing to the Corinthians and to his disciple Timothy, was able to say, "Follow me, as I am following Christ" (I Cor. 11:1, 2 Tim. 2:2). His example and pursuit of Christ-likeness is what fueled a life of service, teaching, and reaching out to others. His transformed heart became evident to those around him, even the apostles who at first did not trust or place their confidence in him. In the last book he wrote, Philippians, Paul speaks of wanting to know Christ more and more, even to the point of Christ's suffering on the cross (Phil 3:10). He made this his life's goal and aim.

This is my prayer for today; for me, for my family, and for our church. Wouldn't it be wonderful if people were to say that they have seen Jesus in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment