Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Grace Awakened* Dysfunctionallity

My son, keep my words and store up my commands within you. Keep my commandments and you will live; guard my teaching as the apple of your eye. (Proverbs 7:1-2)

Have you noticed that the last three chapters had a reoccurring theme? For a book full of patchwork pieces of wisdom on a variety of topics, chapters 5-7 of Proverbs is the most focused part of the book and warns readers about adultery and sexual sin. It is important while reading these portions to remember the context of Solomon’s own family to understand some of his comments.

David and Bathsheba – his father and mother – were the main players in the greatest sex scandal in the Bible (See 2 Samuel chapters 11 and 12 in the Old Testament). Their story would make the pages of the National Enquirer or any gossip column; yet God’s grace and forgiveness extended to them and their second son, Solomon, would eventually become the heir to the throne. There was not only restoration, but grace enough for Solomon to honour his father and his mother.

This is where the Gospel begins; with broken people who come to the point where we know that we need a Saviour and acknowledge that we’ve all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). But it doesn’t stop there; it leads to transformation that enables us to avoid the pitfalls of life. We don’t go on heading straight towards a life of sin in order that “grace may abound” (Romans 6:1).

One of the best ways I know how to do this is through storing up God’s word in my heart, either through reading it (like we’re doing in the Proverbs), or memorizing it. David’s words in Psalm 119:11 say it best: I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Today I’m taking my cue cards with me, and instead of listening to the radio banter on while I wait in traffic, I’m going to continue working on memorizing Romans chapter 8.

*The Grace Awakening is a book by Chuck Swindoll, and a term often used by Geoge Verwer.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your insight into Proverbs. I have been enjoying following along and am really excited each morning to start my day with reading the Word of God and then to see how the passages speak to you.
    Think I will join you in trying to memorize Romans 8 (will set my goals a little lower and go Romans 8:1-10 to start)....
    1 - Horse running - gavel on saddle
    2 - Wooden shoe by my door - keys inside
    3 - Christmas tree - heavy two sided coin
    4 - Door - can't close it due to long scroll of laws.
    Just have to think of items for #5 - #10!
    Thanks again for your words of encouragement. Keep up the great work.
    In Christ,
    Jason Gobillot

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5/ a bee hive but the hive is an abnormal shape.... Dwayne, you did not explain this one to us?! Help with this word picture please.
    And I also thank you for your daily insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that if I tackle two or three verses a day it helps me. Write out the verses and underline the keyword. Here's a couple of thoughts for the next four veses.

    Five - hive. Hornets nest in the shape of a brain - keyword "Minds"

    Six - sticks. Pick-up sticks in the shape of a peace symbol - keywords, life and peaces.

    Seven - Heaven. A cloud in the shape of a policeman - key thought is one who does not submit to God's law.

    Eight - Gate. Railway arm held up by a remote control (one of those super-duper, multi-use ones). Keyword is "controlled by the sinful nature.

    That'e enough for today

    ReplyDelete