Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 1: The Battle For My Will

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Prov. 1:7

There is an amazing contrast that is highlighted in this, the first chapter of the Proverbs. It makes all the difference between having the ability to live in safety (v. 1:33), avoid temptation (v. 1:10), and doing what is right and just (1:3). Wisdom is accumulative (v. 1:5); a never ending pursuit of the person who truly seeks and desires to know God. Those who do not heed God's wisdom or seek Him are called "simple ones."

There are consequences for not seeking God. These are people who cannot call out His name when disaster strikes (v. 1:27). They will eat the fruit of the ways and fall into their own traps. They will be lulled to sleep by complacency; destroyed by their own schemes. In some ways the author of the Provebs says that they will get what they deserve (v. 20-32).

The call to wisdom in the beginning of this book is clear: there are consequences for our choices. It is not that God plots schemes and punishment, but the natural path of our decisions will bear fruit, either for the good or the bad. It is like the command of the Lord to the people of Israel when they were told: Be sure your sin will find you out. Deut. 32:23

Which path will I choose today? Will I seek God's wisdom and ask Him to make His thoughts known to me in my decisions and actions? Or will I love my simple ways and ignore His advice? This is a battle for my will that takes place daily; a battle for my heart and soul that determines who I will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment