Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 13: Second-hand Smoke and First-class Friends

He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm. Prov. 13:20

I have a friend who struggled with quiting his smoking habit. He was a smoker for years and knew the danger to his health, and felt the pain in his wallet. He was aware that his second-hand fumes were dangerous to his wife and grandchildren. Just spending time with him warranted a good shower, as the invisible influence of the fumes permeated clothing.

However, that man is a first-class friend. He was vulnerable and open, always asking for help and wanting to be accountable. It took time - many years - but he is now free of his habit and helping others with addiction issues. He learned that as he spent time with people who could help him that he eventually became someone who could encourage and help others with similar issues. The people he hung around with eventually influenced and helped him to overcome the habit.

This verse is clear: who we spend time with will influence who we become, either for the good or the bad. It is a truth that I know as a parent, and a constant prayer for my children. It is something that reminds me to be careful as I decide who I hang out with. It is not that I avoid spending time with others who need a hand up, but that I also recognize the importance of walking with people who will influence me towards the paths of God.

One thing that I have learned over the years: as I rub shoulders with godly men and women, something rubs off on me. I need to seek this out as a person who learns to walk with the wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment