Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 24: When Trials Come

... for though a righteous man fall seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity. (Proverbs 24:16)

This verse echoes the message of the book of James, and the verses which precede the promise to provide wisdom for the person who asks God for it. James writes:

Consider it pure joy my brotherers whenever you face tirals af many testing of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything. (James 1:2-4)

Last year I had the opportunity to attend a concert by Keith and Kristyn Getty, a married couple that call themselves modern hymn writers. Their music reflects the Irish ballads of their homeland, and the depth of their lyrics speaks of the pain Irish Christians experienced in the midst of trials. Much of their music can be summed up in the title of their song, When Trials Come.

One of the mysteries of the Christian life is the way God draws near to us in times of trouble. As followers of Christ we are not promised that trials will never come, but rather that when they do come, that God walks with us. Read the lyrics below and ponder your situation, whether it be times of trial (for they surely will come) or in times of great rejoicing.

When Trials Come Written by Keith & Kristyn Getty

When trials come no longer fear
For in the pain our God draws near
To fire a faith worth more than gold
And there His faithfulness is told
And there His faithfulness is told

Within the night I know Your peace
The breath of God brings strength to me
And new each morning mercy flows
As treasures of the darkness grow
As treasures of the darkness grow

I turn to Wisdom not my own
For every battle You have known
My confidence will rest in You
Your love endures Your ways are good
Your love endures Your ways are good

When I am weary with the cost
I see the triumph of the cross
So in it’s shadow I shall run
Till He completes the work begun
Till He completes the work begun

One day all things will be made new
I’ll see the hope You called me to
And in your kingdom paved with gold
I’ll praise your faithfulness of old
I’ll praise your faithfulness of old

No comments:

Post a Comment