Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 11: Blessed to be a Blessing

One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another witholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. (Proverbs 11:23-24)

Today is Canadian Thanksgiving - a day we set aside to consider the ways we are blessed. This is a day when the generosity I've seen is God's generosity expressed to me and my family.

It's interesting that today the verses that caught my attention were on generosity. On the day when we're introspective and count our personal blessings, the word to me was that I need to share these blessings with others - it's not just about me.

These verses reminded me of the promise of God to Abraham in Genesis 12:2-3 - I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great and you will be a blessing ... and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.

We are not generous and outward thinking to get more; we are blessed to bless others. We need to be generous to those who cannot give back; to those who God places in our path that may not normally be in our circle of friends.

That's where the economy of God sets in, where the one who loses himself, finds himself. It is where living for others is to be the norm, and where generosity is encouraged, not because of what we might get in return, but out of gratitude. This all enables me to be grateful, not only today, but each day. It is an attitude of gratitude that flows from the Spirit of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment