Monday, July 25, 2016

July 25 - Prov. 25

The right word at the right time is like a custom-made piece of jewelry, And a wise friend’s timely reprimand is like a gold ring slipped on your finger.
Proverbs 25:11-12

I've heard it said that we all need three levels of mentorship in our lives. We need to have someone speaking truth and teaching us - sort of a Paul to Timothy level. We need someone who walks with us and shares at a personal level, because we're going through the same things - like a Barnabas and Paul level. But we all need to be speaking into the lives of others, giving and speaking from the things that we have learned - like a Barnabas to Saul (before he was known as Paul) level.

Once again I note that how things are said is just as important as what is said - it reflects godly character. How I listen also is a key, for those who dare to speak to us are a gift, not a curse.

Perhaps that's why the three levels are so important: as we learn to listen to wise counsel, we learn how to share it with others, as well as teach it in a loving, life-giving fashion. We learn how to be a gift to others; a tool in the hands of God to shape the lives and character of others.

It also makes me ask, who are the mentors I am listening to? Who are those that I can walk with, share with, and pray as we learn to walk with God together? And who is my "Timothy" or "Joshua" that I am sharing with? I need all three in my life to be a balanced and growing person.

No comments:

Post a Comment