Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Living in a Covid-19 World: Day #12


Talk is not Cheap

I watched in shock as a customer tore a strip off the cashier at a local grocery story. He let his anger get the best of him, insisting that it was his right to pay with cash, and that the Debit or Credit Only sign was far too small to expect anyone to read it from the back of the line. He justified his actions, saying, “Aren’t we all a little edgy these days?”

I know that we are all tired of the adjustments and inconveniences of the “new reality” as we live in a Covid-19 world, but is that a good excuse? I think it’s been happening to many people during these days of quarantine.

The New Testament speaks of the taming of the tongue. James 3:1-12 is a passage full of stern warnings to the person unable to control his speech. Jesus said that “out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks” and warned that we all will have to give account for “every careless word that is spoken.” (Matthew 12:34-36)

But there is hope! The wisdom promised in the book of Proverbs hinges upon God-given power for all areas of life. Living under the control of God’s Spirit means that our words can bring healing to those around us (Proverbs 12:6). He brings the kind of transformation that allows our words to build people up (Prov. 1:19) and bring delight to the Lord (Prov. 12:22).

I need that control in my life, especially when I find myself in unwelcome circumstances. I recognize that the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-24 includes self-control, and that implies the taming of my tongue. It causes me to pray the words of Psalm 19:14 - May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment