Thursday, May 14, 2020

Living in a Covid-19 World: Day #14


What are you thirsty for?

The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life … (Prov. 14:22)

When was the last time you worked outside, under the hot sun? One of the advantages of the closure of my office due to Covid-19, is that I’m working out of our house. This gives me some flexibility to my schedule, and I’ve been able to get some of the spring yard work done. This week I got my office work done early and took advantage of a sunny afternoon to clean my deck. When the day was done, there was nothing better than pouring an ice-cold glass of refreshing water.

One of the blessings of living in Canada is the abundance of cold, clear, drinking water. Not everyone has that advantage, so I am careful not to take it for granted. The fact that I can just go to the tap and I have a source of life-giving, thirst-quenching water, is an incredible blessing.

The Scriptures tell us that Jesus is the source of life, comparable to a fountain of cool, fresh water on a hot, scorching day. We are told that He not only promises quality of life, but quantity the exceeds our expectations. His conversation with the woman at the well, told to us in John Chapter Four, equate physical thirst with a deeper spiritual thirst that only God can satisfy.

Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. (John 4:13-14).

Jesus’ comment to the disciples, comparing His plans for the believer, compared to the designs of the one called a thief and liar, are markedly different.

I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10b)

We are called to lean into God and look to Him as the source, or the fountain of life. We do this knowing that as we seek Him we will not go unrewarded.

Today, may we echo the prayer of the Psalmist, letting his words be the cry of our heart: As the deer pants for the streams of water, so my soul thirsts for you. (Psm. 42:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment