Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Living in a Covid-19 World: Day #20



The Darkest Place on Earth
The lamp of the LORD searches the spirit of a man;
it searches out his inmost being. (Proverbs 20:27)

I spoke the other day to a friend who is passing through a deep depression. His confidence has been rocked by the events of the crisis and he’s wondering if he’ll ever see light at the end of his personal “Covid-19 tunnel.” I asked him if he’d ever gone down into a deep cave and experienced absolute darkness? Then I told him this story.

As a young boy our family visited the Lewis & Clarke caverns in Montana. At one point of the tour our cleaver guide warned us that he was turning off the lights. Before he did this he explained the dangers of the cave, including flying bats and scurrying rats. When he turned off the light and we all stood in utter complete darkness, and it was then that my brother – who stood in front of me – took a small step backward. All I could think of was a rat nibbling at my shoes, so I gave a good kick to rid myself of the unseen menace. My brother yelped like a hound dog kicked by a horse. I don’t think he ever forgave me.

The perceived danger of my situation was far worse than anything that was real, but my mind played tricks on me.

In many ways, our minds can become dark places where we lose focus and confidence in God. When we read God’s word, we are often exposed to that darkness of our own hearts and minds. Consider these verses:

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. (Psalm 119:105)

The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. (Psalm 119:130)

For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life. (Prov. 6:23)

My prayer today as I read the Proverbs is this: Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:23-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment